BC Cancer Foundation Fundraiser for "Russian Dood"

Event announcements, race notices and race results etc.
C36
WSC Contributor

BC Cancer Foundation Fundraiser for "Russian Dood"

Postby C36 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:24 pm

The windsurfing and kiteboarding community on bigwavedave.ca are rallying around their friend and windsurfing comrade Andrei Vojakine (Russian Dood) who has recently been diagnosed with brain cancer and is currently undergoing a six week cycle of chemotherapy and radiation treatments at the BC Cancer Agency, Vancouver Island Centre . He has taken to writing about his treatments here:
http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5411

Some words from Andrei:
“My name is Andrei Vojakine and I have been recently diagnosed with brain cancer. The disease came up very quickly and unexpectedly, without any warning signs. One day I was windsurfing on the Oregon coast and two days later I was at the hospital getting ready for the operation.

I would like to mention all the medical staff that helped me through the pre- and post-operation period, as well as everyone who helped me at the BC Cancer Agency. These people do an absolutely remarkable job of helping people pass through this difficult time and make our life easier. I would like to contribute, somehow, to cancer research, prevention and the support effort by increasing awareness in our community and by making a donation.”

We felt that it was only fitting that we honour our friend’s courage by having a fundraiser raffle and donating the funds to the BC Cancer Foundation. The goal is to raise $5,000 and the raffle is scheduled to run between November 1 and December 31, 2011. 100% of the donations will go to the BCCF in Andrei’s name. We have assembled some great prizes to give away to the donors. Regardless of the amount, if it's over $20 you will get one entry into the draw (in other words, one entry per person).

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE (DONATING AND PRIZES)

Andrei’s healing journey will not be an easy one, but he has all the weapons he needs to battle cancer - courage, strength and determination. Please help us send a message to Andrei that he is not walking his healing journey alone.

Once you have donated, please be sure to post a note on this forum thread with your details so that your name can be added to the draw. If your name isn't on this list then you won't be in the draw!

I had the pleasure of meeting Andrei in June when I was down windsurfing at Pistol River (where his Hot Sails Maui “pirate” clad Super Freak became a familiar sight) - he is a super nice guy and my heart goes out to him and what he is up against. Just imagine how you would feel if you were weakened to the point that you couldn't sail. :evil: It is time to show our support to RD.

I just posted my donation, so take a look and consider making yours! :D
David (C36)
Burnaby, BC

FISH
WSC Local

Re: BC Cancer Foundation Fundraiser for "Russian Dood"

Postby FISH » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 am

Sucks!! Life can be cruel.
All the best to Russian Dood! Hope to meet you and share some waves sometime in the future!
FISH
KC-79

C36
WSC Contributor

Postby C36 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:11 pm

FISH wrote:Sucks!! Life can be cruel. All the best to Russian Dood! Hope to meet you and share some waves sometime in the future!
Fish: Right back at you on sharing some waves sometime in the future! Thanks for the support - it is greatly appreciated! There was one post over at BWD that summed up RD's situation pretty well.
Geoffy wrote:Good on Ya RD - not for what the universe dealt you but for how you respond to it man!

I thought that was quiet good (and it applies to all of us). :D Thanks again Fish!
David (C36)
Burnaby, BC

C36
WSC Contributor

Postby C36 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:32 pm

Little Wing: Thanks for the support! Very Nice. :D
David (C36)
Burnaby, BC

C36
WSC Contributor

Postby C36 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:40 pm

Total donations have just topped $4,500 as of November 18! 8) Thanks to all who have donated. :D
David (C36)
Burnaby, BC