How do you 'shove it'

Introductions, gear reviews, locations and conditions, races, opinions, recipes.....post'm here
fathom
WSC Local

How do you 'shove it'

Postby fathom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:04 pm

I've read it online, watch it online. However on the water, I've only done it twice pretty much as accidents (first time before it was even called a shove it, and second time, ended up rotating right around).
Can't seem to get the timing/weighting/board direction right.
Any tips?

riNR
WSC Local

Re: How do you 'shove it'

Postby riNR » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:21 pm

I did an on land clinic with Wyatt Miller in da Gorge. He told us of how he had a heck of a time learning to do it. He said for a long time him and his friend kept trying to jump out of the water and kick the board out to the side to only have it witnessed as some goofy jump with little horizontal change while still give the "sensation" that they had done it.

He described the move in this manner:
Sail along on a broad reach with lots of speed.
Look for a small to medium size peice of chop / wave, doesn't need to be huge by any means.
" the jump is not a jump" Huh? He explained it perfectly, as a front foot initiate carve into the face of the wave. Try it, it makes perfect sense! By carving with the front foot it is more like the action of initiating a carve than a jump where you push off the fin and ollie the board up off the wave face.
Allow your feet to go out like you are doing a lay-down jibe....kind of counter intuitive but makes sense when you try it. Really the move is a lay-down air jibe, but the difference is that to right yourself while flying you have to push your back hand down hard to force the wind to push the sail back up to verticle.

A lot to think about in 3 seconds but it is probaly one of the coolest looking moves in my books. I've yet to nail one but give it time or maybe not.

I found the first time I did it that my muscle memory made me want to tuck my feet up to my bum like ollie-ing the board but that just made me spin right around and slide the board backwards.

Hope this helps, I found that Wyatt Miller was one of the best people I have ever listened to explain moves by breaking them down into small nuances and the physics behind the move. Super nice guy who went out of his way to explain things to Dave and myself in his free time when he could have easliy just blown us off.

John, next time we're out we wil have to push eachother to do them. Hopefully we will have the conditions to go and try them now.

FISH
WSC Local

Postby FISH » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:08 pm

PM me your email addresses and I can send you a shove-it trick tip that I started writing several years ago. It might help a bit.
FISH
KC-79

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:57 am

I will have to experiment with that front foot carving. I imagine it to be fairly similar to front foot carving on a snowboard. Hopefully can try on the weekend.

Both time I did it was overpowered (first time was in the Gorge going fast, overpowered and hitting the top of a nice swell), neat sensation of floating then sail snapping you back. However, I did not know why it happened or what exactly happened so could not reproduce it.

JayTurcot
WSC Local

Postby JayTurcot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Just to make sure I get it...

Front foot initiated carve into the wave is going to be an up-wind carve right?

Continent seven has some good ones, but I think Tonky's is the smallest and least extreme and will probably look like what my first few attempts will look like:
http://www.continentseven.com/windsurfm ... moveid=496

username at gmail.com. Maybe send those tips my way also FISH!
Jay Turcot
"It's a crazy addiction we have isn't it?"

fathom
WSC Local

Postby fathom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:06 pm

I also found this one on another forum.
Basically what rINR posted earlier.
This is from Wyatt himself.
I was hoping he would be around next week when I visit my brother in the bay area, but I'll be there a week too early. Oh, well.

15 Tips to: Makes a good header, but what we really need is to Deconstruct the Shuv-It.

First off the Shuv-It is a CARVE NOT A JUMP.

If you Jump it’s already over.

The Sail needs to be “Laid Down” before you enter the air.

The Shuv-It… IS a front foot initiated lay down tack (upwind carve).

As most HERO JIBERS know, if you carve hard enough you can “lay the sail down,” and your apparent wind will carry the weight of the sail.

The same concept applies to laying the sail down for the Shuv-It = you just need to carve hard enough up wind WITHOUT SLOWING DOWN

The reason carving upwind with your back foot does not work is that it Kills SPEED.

HEREIN LIES THE PROBLEM FOR MOST WINDSURFERS:

Until we learn the Shuv-It most of us have never initiated an upwind carve with our FRONT foot, (and it’s not that easy to do.)
Wave top turn = back foot initiated up wind carve
Tacking = is done out of the straps
Narrowly avoiding oncoming windsurfer or bouy = back foot initiated, last
minute upwind carve.

THE AWESOME SOLUTION:

The terrifying part of learning the Shuv-it is the fact that you need to be going full throttle.

The force that holds you up, soaring through the air as if gliding on your own airplane wing, is your apparent wind. Once you lose forward momentum Shuving–It will not do much, and you plummet like a rock.

The great part about the Shuv-it is that it is possible to learn the front foot initiated up wind carve, on flat water, without getting airborn. (Although it does involve a crash.)

Thus, gain the confidence that you can make the upwind carve and “lay down the sail” with out the plummet out of the sky part.

HERE IS WHAT YOU DO:

1. Sailing at near full speed across the wind, look for a flat section of water.

2. Initiate the carve by: Knocking your knees together forward and over the upwind rail effectively shifting your weight to the OUTSIDE EDGE OF YOUR FRONT FOOT, with a little weight on the INSIDE EDGE OF YOUR BACK FOOT.

(This is bit hard to describe without body language, and a great reason to check out one of my clinics)

3. If you do this correctly the sail should “Lay Down”, as you carve upwind away from it. (This should happen on it’s own, with out you doing anything special with you arms.)

4. It is possible to get the sail to “Lay Down” by carving incorrectly off your back foot.

5. The sail should lay down so far that it hits the water and causes you to stop abruptly.

HEREIN LIES THE TEST:

6. As the sail is laid down into the water, you either:

A: Go tumbling out of the straps, over the front of the board….SUCCESS!

B: Slow down and plop into the water still in the straps………FAILURE!!

7. The difference between success and failure is speed.

8. If you go tumbling over the front, that means you carved upwind off of your front foot and maintained speed.

9. If you slowly bog down and drop into the water it means YOU WERE CARVING UPWIND OFF OF YOUR BACK FOOT!! TOO SLOW TRY AGAIN.

NOW YOU ARE READY FOR THE REAL DEAL:

1. Go flying across the water at Mach 10

2. See the nice swell that is too close, upwind of you, to initiate a normal jump.

3. Knock your knees together, forward and over the upwind rail effectively shifting your weight to the OUTSIDE EDGE OF YOUR FRONT FOOT, with a little weight on the INSIDE EDGE OF YOUR BACK FOOT.

THINK OF CARVING THE BOARD OUT FROM UNDER YOUR BODY, UP THE SWELL AND INTO THE WIND.

4. Let the sail drop down as your carve upwind.

5. Right at the top of the swell, spring off of your toes projecting your body over top of your laid down sail.

6. Love the feeling as you soar through the air as if gliding on your own airplane wing. Probably the best sensation in windsurfing.

7. Look down at the water through your sail….this will cause a natural shuving reaction as a part of your mind’s inherent will to live.

8. This life saving reaction will capture your apparent wind and cause the sail to right you

9. Bend your legs and absorb the landing.

10. SMILE

JayTurcot
WSC Local

Postby JayTurcot » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Wyatt's awesome. That made me chuckle to myself a few times here in the lab. :lol:
Everybody thinks I'm bonkers. :roll:
Jay Turcot
"It's a crazy addiction we have isn't it?"

nord_roi
WSC Contributor

Postby nord_roi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

fathom wrote:Any tips?
Well, that was all great, but when you never did a shov-it..kind'a hard or be so natural to nail that. I would add a step before, sail fully powered...carve upwind(practice the front foot carving)..without any jump or chop and fall in front in a shov-it position and practice to get back in position by handling the sail into the wind and back hand pressure. After a while you will almost pop up the board from the water itself...now found a chop and nail it!!! To practice that, a nice 6.0 day is cool, to nail it in air, 5.2 fully powered is easier.

Fish, post your article, as always, I'm sure you add so much valuable technical information that we are all going to be better shov-iter!
Nord_Roi